Twenty-five students and two teachers of Ogba Junior Grammar School lapsed into coma after inhaling fumes of toxic chemicals discharged into drainage. The unconscious victims were transferred to the Blue Cross Hospital, and Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LASUTH).
The story continues below
The students and teachers were inside the school building when they started complaining of feeling dizzy. Soon, people started collapsing, apparently after inhaling the emission from chemicals spread to their school premises by air.
The incident, which occured at around 12.40p.m., caused panic among the scholl staff, and saw some parents rushing to the scene.
Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) official told journalists all the victims were in critical condition, but responded to treatment.
The official also said that, upon arriving at the scene, the LASEMA team conducted a general assessment. As a result, it was revealed that certain liquid chemicals with offensive and choking odour were stored and used in the photo lab on the first floor of Ogba Shopping Mall, located at the back of the school. The toxic fumes permeated the environment, and this might have led to the incident.
According to the official, the chemicals in the lab may have expired.
The premises have been sealed by the authorities, and three photo studio staff memebers arrested.
A thorough investigation would be carried out to ascertain the effect that the liquid chemicals have on the environment.
The State Director of Fire and Safety Services, Mr. Rasaq Fadipe, said officials assisted the rescue operations to avoid the spread of chemical fumes. The premises have been sealed to prevent people from gaining access to the area.